Southern Right Whales, and the Nullarbor Cliffs, from Adelaide
This tour is for 2 days / 1 night, and will take you to the spectacular view of the Bunda Cliffs on the edge of the Nullarbor, and the Southern Right Whales which gather in the Head of Bight Marine Park on the edge of the Nullarbor to give birth and to breed. The annual gathering of Southern Right Whales in the Marine Park is the largest number seen anywhere in Australia. Southern Right Whales are the most active of all whales on the surface of the water, and are known to be curious towards vessels. Depending on when you choose to visit, you may see two adults, or mother and calf, and may see up to 100 Whales during the two days.
You will fly from Adelaide to Ceduna on a scheduled flight with Regional Express, which lasts one hour 45 minutes. On arrival at Ceduna Airport, an All Wheel Drive vehicle will be available for you to drive yourself the 295 kilometres from Ceduna to the Nullarbor Hotel / Motel. A stop at the Head of Bight Visitor Information Centre, and walking down to the platforms on top of the Cliffs to catch your first glimpse of the whales is a welcome chance to stretch your legs. Continue on the main highway to the Nullarbor Roadhouse, your rest stop for the night. The final experience for the day is a 30 minute scenic flight with Chinta Air over the Cliffs and the Head of Bight Marine Park to gain another perspective of the stunning scenery. At the end of the day, relax over a two course meal in the restaurant before a good night’s rest in the Nullarbor Motel.
An early start, shortly after sunrise, will allow plenty of time to drive the 181 kilometres from Nullarbor to Fowlers Bay. Fowlers Bay is a former whaling town but is now a small fishing village for the few who love the remote lifestyle. Here you will be joining a boat cruise to see the Southern Right Whales in Fowlers Bay. A small pod of Whales routinely visit the Bay, and the two hour boat cruise under the expert guidance of a local skipper provides another opportunity to see the Whales in their natural habitat. A light lunch on the deck overlooking the bay is a welcome break before driving the 156 kilometres from Fowlers Bay to Ceduna. This allows plenty of time for a plate of local oysters at the Ceduna Foreshore Hotel, before returning the vehicle to the Airport, and catching a scheduled flight with Regional Express from Ceduna to Adelaide. You will arrive back in Adelaide at approximately 8.50pm.
This tour includes:
- Seats on a scheduled flight from Adelaide to Ceduna.
- Two day hire of an All Wheel Drive vehicle, pick up from and return to Ceduna Airport, with 650 kilometres included.
- One nights accommodation in a double or twin share room at the Nullarbor Hotel / Motel.
- Two course evening meal in the Restaurant (choice of mains, and dessert), and tea / coffee, water / soft drink / juice.
- 30 minute scenic flight over the Head of Bight Marine Park. Flights depart on demand.
- Places on a two hour boat cruise of Fowlers Bay, followed by a light lunch at the Fowlers Bay Café.
- Seats on a scheduled flight from Ceduna to Adelaide.
- Tour package available from 1 July to 30 September, 2016.
- Tour departs every day of the week, except Fridays and Sundays.
- Lunch on Day One, breakfast and oysters on Day Two are not included.
- All drivers must carry a full Australian Drivers Licence, and must be over 25 years of age. Vehicle must be returned with a full tank of fuel (otherwise, additional charges apply). In case of accident, driver will be responsible for repairs and vehicle excess.
- Whale sightings not guaranteed.
Cost: $1895 per person for two people.